Thursday, November 10, 2011

Blame it on the rain.............

well, that's what some dog trainers do.   You've heard it at trials.  "My dog didn't sit because there was a puddle in that spot."   "He doesn't work well in the rain."   or even "My dog won't go out to go potty because it's raining."  Those arguments don't hold water in this household.  Rain happens, life continues, and so does dog training. :)


I had an hour to kill between the end of Bible study and bringing James home from preschool this a.m., and it was raining out.   Having heard the predictions, I was excited to have some training time outside.   On my list of things to expose Fizz to is umbrellas.   My older dogs like to attack them, they elicit great joy.   Fizz completely ignored the umbrella that I popped open right above her.  Again.  And again.  And again, and then it bonked into her when it opened........and was flat ignored.   The food in her bag (at lunch time) was far more interesting.  I tried again later when she was not distracted by food........she could have cared less, though the metal frame did receive a good chomp after a bit.

The front yard of the church is along a busy corner at the intersection of a state highway (2 lane road) and local streets.  There are lots of big loud trucks that come through here.   She had her lunch mere feet from the road, as if that is her normal Cafe spot.  Prior to receiving her bowl, she worked chin heeling and some tuck sits to earn lunch.

After lunch we worked "sit pretty" for freeze-dried turkey liver, restrained recalls by wrapping the leash around a light pole, and then releasing as I ran off, and recalls to RZ.   Being that the ground was wet, of course we worked through fold back downs, and started adding duration to them. :)

While most of our trials will most likely be indoors, I do not want weather to be a distraction or demotivating factor for her.  We had lots of fun out in the rain, and she showed me strong work effort.  She's napping now, having had a good romp.   This afternoon she'll be coming to Emilie's Team practice for gymnastics, and meetings LOTS of new people. :)  All part of the "Insane Puppy socialization plan."

1 comment:

  1. I always walked Fin and did training in the rain as he grew. The inclement weather bothers me more than him!

    ReplyDelete