Saturday, January 5, 2013

Shaping the broad jump for obedience


When I asked my obedience coach how she teaches the broad jump for obedience, her answer was "it depends."  :)    I've taught it for agility, but am not up on current methods, and was looking to expand my training repertoire.   So, we're going to shape Fizz to jump the broad jump.

Yesterday was our first attempt, and we worked her in 2 short sessions of roughly 5 minutes each, and approximately 10 minutes apart (you can see the clock in the background).    We started with two boards, and the criteria was simply "pass over the b.j. "    Early in Fizz's life, we did a lot of work with proprioception, which included ground pole work (and avoidance of stepping on them) as well as getting up on any thing that I went near and didn't ask for another behavior.   We worked a lot with wiggly, unsteady, non-level objects.    I knew that Fizz would try in some fashion to get ON the broad jump, and she did not disappoint. :)

Unfortunately, I forgot to start the video, so the first minute or so of interaction is missing, however, it's not very different from what you see on the video.   The very first thing she did was stand on the 2nd board, all 4 feet on, and hold her balance.   As soon as she came down off of it, having crossed over the full jump, I clicked and treated, and away we went! :)  

About half way through our first session, I stopped clicking for walking through the jump, and increased the criteria to "jumping the jump."   Fizz has a very high threshhold for frustration and does not give up easily.   She understands, and seems to enjoy, free shaping, and I am often able to take fairly big steps in raising criteria with her.  






You could almost see her mentally tiring, so we put her up in her crate for about 10 minutes to process what she had learned.    She was very excited to come back to the work.    In reviewing the videos, I see much less walking through the jump in Session 2, and more jumping.   She's understanding the criteria and showing me that we didn't raise it too quickly or too much.    One comment here is how poor my placement of reward is.   I thought I had cut hunks of cheese that were big enough, but nope..........they were small, bouncy, and not tossing very well.   Optimally, I would have been tossing cheese such that where she went to get it for reward set her up correctly for the next rep.   However, she is frequently to the side of the jump and coming to it on an angle.   

Personally, 'wrong' does not bother me, and I do NOT view it as 'bad.'   It is a choice the dog has made, and each new choice brings information.   She is refining her understanding of what brings reward and what does not.   By figuring it out for herself, her understanding is more clear, and in my opinion, more solid.    The same reasoning that causes a parent to say to a child "figure it out for yourself........put up 4 fingers on this hand, and 3 on that one, and tell me how many you have".....when asked "what is 4 + 3?"   In my limited experience, shaping is FAR FAR more powerful (and lasting) of a teacher than luring.   It requires patience, and the ability to read one's dog (and know if you've pushed too far/too fast).....but the rewards are great! :)

Here is session 2:




3 comments:

  1. Very interesting! The first session was really enlightening. She quickly figured out that interacting with the jump was what you wanted, and then quickly figured out moving through it was what gathered the reward. I'm amazed at how quickly that transition happened.
    A couple questions :)....
    1) Do the rewards ever come from you, or always thrown to set her up?
    2) Did you consider jackpot-ing her at all when she did actually jump the jump? Or did you just add additional praise? I know I would probably have added a jackpot, but not sure that would have been the right decision.

    I'll make sure to bring my camera with me when I try Tali with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the rewards are always tossed to re-set her. Just as in agility you don't want a dog running to you after an obstacle, to gather reward, neither do I want her coming right to me after she jumps. So rewards were always tossed, albeit not well, and sometimes not even in the right direction! HA! :) :)

    I did not use a jackpot, and in all honesty, I'm not great about using them, unless working in close proximity. I did use one today in our Nosework when she actually held her chin on the tin (indication of odor). For Fizz, the jumping is rewarding in and of itself, so big rewards aren't super necessary. HOWEVER, the one thing I think that I should have added in would be a 'balance break' (per Susan Garrett) and some tugging in mid session. Freshens the mind and breaks the cookie coma, even though this does involve running about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reward tossing skills often leave something to be desired as well, but not rewarding from you makes sense.

      I agree, using a jackpot would be more difficult without being in close proximity. Balance breaks and timers are two things I have to make sure to use too.

      And how fun with the nosework! She sure has a good sniffer on her :).

      Delete