Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Of Wagons, Hills and Bars...........

Fizz arrived here full of confidence, and seemingly indifferent to environmental "stressors."   She is not bothered by footings, sounds, smells, movement or anything else that I've seen yet.   I saw her first startle reaction ever at class last night when a Border Terrier started yip-shrieking (egads, that noise should be illegal!), and its the only thing I've seen her react to.  Vaccuum cleaner, coffee grinder, even the commuter rail train.........she just locates the noise and walks solidly towards it.   She is an amazing girl!!   I am so thankful to Erika for doing this breeding! :)

Despite her natural confidence, I still believe it adventageous to expose Fizz to as many things as possible.  Yesterday, we decided to check out James' red wagon.   James is 3.5, and a very willing helper.   He was my wagon-puller for the beginning of the ride, and it was perfect, as he was not at all smooth in his motions with the wagon, yet even a good lurch didn't cause Fizz to leave.

After wagon rides, James helped me do restrained recalls up and down our steep front hill.  I'd hoped that she would Puppy Ping Pong between us, but apparently James doesn't command enough respect for her to go visit when I have treats (even though he had the same treats).  So I altered the plan midstride to James holding her leash, and me calling.............and then having James come to me, sit down, hold the leash, and we'd do it again, up and down the hill.

Finally, we went out back and worked ground poles for proprioception.   There were plenty of play breaks and a potty break in between sessions.....but these demonstrate how we train:  short sessions, no more than 3-5min each.   It allows me to get many things in during the day.   We're also working on tuck sits, fold-back downs, chin heeling, name game, 2 cookies game, and lots of recall/RZ reward games.

My apologies for the poor angle on the ground bar filming, I had the minitripod propped on a slanted birdhouse.   Should have brought a stool out to give some height..........next time.   Enjoy! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment