Thursday, November 17, 2011

Puppy jump bumps and more BOSU

Susan Salo has done amazing work in teaching horses to jump.   The dog world is now blessed to have her talent and skill in coaching.  Susan's work is in teaching the dog proper mechanics, including scope, and extension & collection of stride.  I first learned of her methods in 2004 with Banja and Vikka at BARK camp.  Very excited to have a green puppy to work with now....to learn correctly from the very beginning.

Puppies learn via stride regulators, also known as jump bumps.  When Fizz is a little bit older, we'll progress to 4" PVC cut in half, but for now, I'm using pool noodles.  They cut very easily with a serrated knife.  One noodle gave us four puppy bumps. :)   They are not set at any particular distance yet.  I just wanted to see how her body awareness and proprioception are developing.   Last night was our first attempt.  I had the bumps too close together and she was stepping on them.


Today, James and I set this up again.  He was my puppy holder for the first few runs.   On the first pass, you see that she goes off to the side, yet she's still jumping as if going over them.  On #2, she steps on every single bump, and on pass 3, she adjusts her striding and has a gorgeous, quiet, run.  When a dog is jumping from their hind (collected), they are quiet as they go down the row.....even an adult bitch jumping full height (24 or 26") is silent on landing when jumping correctly.  A dog pulling from their front in order to jump has a heavy landing, and often an "ooomph" over time.  They are not silent as they go down the row.   Was VERY happy with Fizz's stride adjustment and jumping style over the bumps.





Finally, a quick video of Fizz playing on the BOSU.  She often climbs on it and hangs out, with out any impetus from me, no food in the area (to be a possible promise of reward).   Of course I never have my camera when she does this........so I lured it a bit by putting a sheep tug on the BOSU.   You can see how she just settles in with it, and even fights to stay on at one point when it tips.   She is a VERY cool puppy!!!! :)


1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work! It will be real fun to see how she develops and watch all this hard work pay off in the long run! I am going to start sending my puppies to you for the Gret insane puppy school :-)
    E

    ReplyDelete