Thursday, March 15, 2012

Day 3 jump bump grids

Fizz and I went back to 6ft spacing on the jump bump grids.   This was the first day I have not had Emilie to help.   Thus, I was leaving Fizz in a sit, and then recalling her down the line.   For several of the passes, I walked out, set up, shook the rope, then walked back and rewarded her for holding the sit, and then set up again for the recall.   I saw no 'vulturing' in her sit, no anticipation.  She held a very solid sit and I was extremely pleased with this.   Our "Its Your Choice" work was really coming into play. :)

I use a ground bar to define the entry space to the lane.   Something visual to say to Fizz "in this area, you must choose your take-off point."   This is the first time I've done much back and forth down the lane with her (b/c of not having Emilie).   On pass #5, you can see her make a HUGE jump on the final jump.  I heard the landing before I realized what she'd done.  That red/white bar, to define entry space, had suddenly become part of the lane in her estimation.  So instead of jumping a 6ft arc, she added in the additional 5ft to the bar, and made an 11ft arc.   Her take off was good, she shows maximum compression, and her head is down on take-off.  However, she over-stretches in the air and lands ballistically, thus the thud I heard.   Removed the bar, tried again........MUCH better!

Dogs are so incredibly visual, and I think too often we forget that and don't look at things from THEIR perspective.  Jump #5 was a reminder of that today.   Apparently there are people who correct their dogs for incorrect jumping.   I am SO thankful I don't subscribe to that, she wasn't "WRONG," but rather trying to achieve what she saw:  an elongated jump.   GOOD girlie!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment