Monday, March 25, 2013

Aging our hides


Worked exterior hides again today.   The tins themselves were aged about 30hrs since I took the Qtips out of the odor jar.   The hides were put out at 9:05a, and we ran them at approximately 12:15p.    The winds have been building all day, and were a steady 10-15MPH when we worked.

I was very happy with how quickly she worked and found the hides.   On the first one, I wanted to reward the hunt (vs the find), so I told her "yes" as soon as she got to source, even though she hadn't pinpointed it for me (she was an inch or so past when I said "yes").   The other two, I waited for her to pinpoint.

On hide #3, the lawn, I purposefully started us far back to make the hunt a larger portion of her work.   She already had odor when I told her to 'show me,' and we were about 30-35yds from the hide.

3hrs was a bit long to age them, for where she is in training.  1-1.5hrs would have been more ideal.  However, this is how life runs, and so we work with what we have.   :)



No comments:

Post a Comment